Saturday, March 20, 2010

What's in a name?

When I was younger (or so I'm told), I went through a stage where I tried to call my parents by their first names. It made sense. If I was Michael, then they were Marjie and Mike.

I was informed that they were Mom and Dad.

Well, if they were Mom and Dad, then I'm Baby.

Gotta love the logic of children.

Two decades later, Ireland is also trying to figure things out.

She tries to call me Michael at times.
When I inform her that I'm Papa, she calls me MichaelPapa.
I respond by calling her IrelandDaughter.

And then there are times she tries to call me Dad (or Daddy). She gets it from other adults. They ask her questions and use the term.
But whenever she does, she does it with a mischievous little grin.

And I can't leave out this next one.
Whenever I'm wearing my Klingon forehead (or sometimes when I'm not), she calls me PapaKlingon.


It'll be interesting to see where all of this goes. After all, I call My Mother "My Mother".

No comments: